Tuesday, May 17, 2005

Hey!

Used to attract attention or to express surprise, appreciation,
wonder, or pleasure.

That definition comes from Dictionary.com. Its one definition for the
word hey.

The word hey, used as a greeting, originated in the South. It is now
used throughout the world as a formal greeting, replacing Hi, and the
previously popular head nod.

I use this simple word throughout my day. Sometimes its used as a
greeting, like when I see someone at Wal-Mart I'm supposed to know,
but can't remember their name. "Hey...........neighbor."

Or sometimes I use the word as an expletive, like when someone
pulls out in front of me when I'm racing home to catch the end
of American Idol. "Hey! You......Son of....you..Idiot!!"

Lately, "hey" has taken on a new meaning around the house. It
makes me smile and laugh. It makes me even, a little giddy.
lil' Langley Rae, who turns 14 months old in a few days, has turned
"hey" into a camcorder battery charging event.

Its her new thing. When she sees someone, her arm shoots up in
the air, she smiles really big and then "Heeeeeyyy!!" Its extremely
cute.

The first time she did it, I wasn't sure what she was doing. It looked
like she was paying homage to Hitler. I thought maybe I had left the
television on the History channel.

She even does it to Larry. The dog. He thought it was cute too.
However, he was concerned with the fact that she wasn't wearing pants.

After I considered that fact, I realized it was also my first time to
be greeted with a "Hey" by someone with no pants on. Thankfully, it
was her and not the FedEx guy.

Now that she's mastered this new word, I can't wait until the next
one. Hopefully, it won't be the word I used frequently last Saturday
while I was attempting to fix the lawn mower.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Blogarama - The Blogs Directory