Thursday, April 14, 2005

Good Nightie Nurse

In America, we use poster boards, some permanent markers, and a lot of pacing and chanting. It’s called a protest. Or sometimes a picket line. Basically, they’re implemented in order to attract someone’s attention. To make a stand. Make a statement.

Let me say this again,...we use poster board.

In Johannesburg, South Africa, nurses are wearing pajamas and nighties to workto demand a higher allowance for buying uniforms. They’re using nighties.

Do you see the difference?

We’ve been taught the wrong way No wonder we work such long hours, for such little pay. We’ve never showed up to work in our Fruit of the Looms. I can’t wait to see the look on my bosses face tomorrow.

According to Itumeleng Molaplhegi, a nurse or something, “This campaign is the only way we can exercise our rights.”

Personally, I happen to agree with Itumeleng. How else could you possibly get more money to buy better shoes for your job? Maybe you could show up at work with hair rollers in your hair. Oh, I know, what about a poster board on a stick?

Apparently, nurses are only receiving about 54 rand ($9) a year for shoes. I bought my little 1 year old daughter some Keds the other day. Sixteen dollars. She’s not running track, or even cross country. She’s just trying to get from her room to the living room without pooping. Sixteen Dollars!

Health officials are concerned that this could potentially lead to a security problem, seeing as how just anyone off the street could walk in and pretend to be a nurse. Well, as long as they’re wearing a teddy.

I can’t help but remember the last time I was in the hospital. I had fractured my wrist. The nurse assigned to my room was the sweetest dear lady in the world. Fluffed my pillows, scratched my arm underneath the cast, and told me all about her sweet, angelic grandkids. Sweet Delores. In a thong.

It’s all I can think about now. Delores in a thong. And Delores is not an attractive woman. Incredibly sweet, but not lingerie material.

Maybe this is the real problem the health officials are worried about. Mr. Johnson comes in with a sprained ankle, sees three hundred pound Juanita in nothing but a red, sheer nightie and a stethoscope and now all of a sudden he’s having a triple bypass on his weakened heart.

The protest in South Africa began on Monday, and nurses show no sign of putting their clothes back on yet. Hospital officials stated that the moral of the janitorial crew has increased ten fold. Bob, janitor on floor three, has always had a drinking problem, and never shows up to work on time. Now with the new protest occurring, Bob is early every morning. He even
bought some new clothes. And shoes.

Officials are hoping that the forecasted cold front coming in this weekend will encourage the nurses to put their uniforms back on. If not, same said officials, will begin handing out “It’s a boy” T-shirts from the gift shop.

As Americans, I hope we have learned at least two things from this experience.

1.) We’re lucky to be Americans.

2.) Want a longer lunch break? Take your pants off.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Blogarama - The Blogs Directory